Is one of your 2018 New Year Resolutions to join a gym and work on your fitness? That is great news! Committing to a regular exercise program will augur well toward your goals of improving your fitness.
Here are 3 things that you should do before getting your gym membership:
- See Your Medical Doctor If you haven’t had your physical this year, just go do it! Make sure that you are able to engage in a fitness program before you get started.
- See your Physiotherapist You do not need a doctor referral to see a physiotherapist and most extended health care plans will cover the cost of treatments. Our physios at Ponoka Physio will complete a Functional Movement exam to ensure that you are ready for exercise. We will assess your range in your joints and the way you move to help prevent injuries before they happen.
- Start your Program in February By all means take advantage of the discounts that gyms offer for the New Year but see if you can freeze your membership until February. January is a busy month and a large number of people who buy memberships in January do not follow through with their commitment. Starting in February allows you to miss the busyness of January and gives you time to set up your fitness goals for success
There are different gyms in town with different programs available.
Research what each gym has to offer and ensure that it is the best fit for you. Questions to ask yourself are:
- Do you enjoy working out on your own?
- Would you prefer to be in a group with an instructor?
- Do the age of the other gym goers matter to you?
- Does your schedule work with the gym hours?
- Are you looking to cross train or prepare for a marathon?
One last thing.
Don’t forget that if you are new to the gym life that you will need proper footwear and workout attire.
Happy to help.
We at Ponoka Physio are always happy to answer any questions that you may have. Just stop by or drop us a line.